moving from amd to p3?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Jun 16 21:26:24 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 07:27:57PM -0500, Doug Sutherland wrote:
> Before you begin, do this to save your old .config
> and make sure you have a clean source tree
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> cp .config .config.SAVE

This will only be the case if you're recompiling a kernel source tree
again. When you untar a fresh kernel source for the first time, the /usr/src/linux/.config
file won't exist. You can however move another .config file to
/usr/src/linux/.config, if you want to start with whatever is already
configured in that .config file, instead of starting completely from
scratch. Personally, when building a new kernel for a new machine, I
grab a .config file for the kernel/distro I'm already using, and
change that to suit my needs, instead of starting from scratch.

> make mrproper
>
> If you were installing speakup, at this point you would do
> the speakup patching of the kernel source.

Actually, as far as I know, and this is what I've always done, you're
supposed to untar the kernel, patch with speakup, run make mrproper
clean, then copy a .config file
into place if any. Also, if you're just
building a freshly untared kernel from kernel.org without speakup, or
any other patches, you don't need to do make mrproper, I never did
that in those cases.

> If you want to configure using your old configuration
> as a start and just change a few things, you can do
> make oldconfig

Before doing make oldconfig, make sure you have an existing
/usr/src/linux/.config, or /boot/config-2.6.21.5, if compiling a
2.6.21.5 kernel. If you don't have either of these, make oldconfig
will just use the defaults for your architecture. For the x86
architecture, this is /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/defconfig.

> make dep

Note that you don't need to run make dep if building a 2.6.x kernel.

> make bzImage
> make modules

If running debian, and if you've got kernelpackage installed, doing

make-kpkg kernel_image

at this point will run the 2 above make commands for you, and build a
package that you can install. When installing that package, it may
also install the kernel in the boot loader for you as well. Other
distros may have a similar shortcut.

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1