ttsynth and speakup connector.

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jun 11 20:30:16 EDT 2007

Hi, Luke:

Luke Yelavich writes:
> I am currently using ttsynth with the speakup connector utility, and so
> far, I am quite impressed. The synth is incredibly responsive, even on a
> dual celeron 466Mhz box. One thing I have noticed however, is that
> speech does not shut up very quickly when one presses a key, or the
> control key. Speech also overlaps when quickly skimming over text,
> either by line, word, or character. I'd say this has something to do
> with ALSA being used, but is probably not too hard to work around in the
> code. The utility also randomly crashes sometimes, and I hope to see if
> I can debug that.

There are strings that crash ibmtts in its various incarnations, whether
our TTSynth version on Linux or Eloquence on Windows. For instance, take
the spaces out of the following:

c a e s u r e

A recent vim package name also crashed ibmtts.

> Janina, what is the speakup connector source code license?

LGPL

PS: Speakup connector was originally contributed by Marc Mulcahy. Others
have since enhanced the code some.

> I can make Ubuntu/Debian packages if people are interested.
> - --
One less thing for us to do! <grin>

Janina