Wireless Router

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sat Jun 9 16:15:52 EDT 2007

I don't know about anyone else, but I want my linux
behind a router/firewall that does nat, then also run
iptables on linux. There are many people looking for
linux boxen to play with on the net. They look for
known vulnerabilities and old versions of networking
software that don't have the latest security patches.
A canned router does not have ability to do things
like login, install rootkits, open rogue connections,
etc. Even if you don't open ports and follow all of
the best security practices, eventually you will
forget something, or not have the latest patch, or
maybe you already have a rootkit installed and do
not know. Reason enough for me, and besides a
router is just as cheap as a wireless adapter to
make a PC into router.

ace wrote:
How come people don't just use their Linux box as
the router and a wireless switch