Regarding running Linux with Speakup under a virtual machine withWindows XP

Georgina Joyce gena-j at bulldoghome.com
Fri Jun 8 09:47:36 EDT 2007

Hi

I can't help precisely with your question but wondered if you had considered all your options?

Had you considered making a dual boot machine and having the boot loader load windows by default?  By having a timeout of 10 seconds it increases the boot up time by ten seconds but you can hit enter to start the boot.  I like good old lilo, it's easy to have it beep at the prompt and you can use single key, i.e. you just a single letter to choose the boot option.

But having said which, why not teach your father to use Linux?  If he only wants to browse the web you could have it boot directly into a web browser.  Put Firefox on Windows and when's used to it move him over to Linux.  As for your VOIP, I'm sure that there are Linux solutions for you.  As a side issue, Chess has been discussing the best option in his recent Linux Reality pod casts.

Gena

Amateur Call: M 0 E B P

VOIP / IM: gena1959uk