a few questions regarding ubuntu installation

jaffar at art-palette.net jaffar at art-palette.net
Thu Jun 7 23:24:24 EDT 2007

Hi All.  I need some advise from those of you who are experts in installing
any linux distro, especially ubuntu on a machine already having a msWindows
xp box.  But before i ask the questions, I must clarify that I am intending
to install Ubuntu via the VmWare Server.  I have already gotten the ubuntu
desktop distro, and I have already partially succeeded in accessing it via
my VMWare server.  I am now intent on installing it to my hard drive, so
here are the questions.
1. My machine has three sata hard disks installed.  During the fourth step
of the installation process, I came across the avibriation SDA describing my
hard drive.  Is SDA a linux term for the Sata Hard disk?
2.  During the installation process, I was ellocated 12264 mbs for my ubuntu
installation.  Does this correspond with the amount of space that i gave to
my virtual disk during the configuration process of my virtual machine?
3.  How do I allocate disk space for the various installed dirs, like slash
and home.
4. Where can i get comprehensive guidance and documentation on using and
navigating the gnome desktop.
5.  How do i install and update software on ubuntu.
and 6.  Where can I get comprehensive guidance and documentation on using
ubuntu for the various tasks like programming, listening to music, word
processing, sending mail and so forth.

Sorry for the many questions, but as an inexperienced new bee in the linux
world, I thought it would be more prudent to ask these questions before I
make a start, or worse, mess up my pc.  Thanks for any help given.  Cheers!