Definitely unslung

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Mon Jun 4 22:25:50 EDT 2007

I have spent many many hours analyzing the x86 vs ARM alternative
for embedded boards. The tradeoff is quite large in terms of ease of
use and application portability in favor for x86, but yes much higher
power requirements. If you want to run on battery power for long
extended periods then ARM makes sense, but then you're talking
about a whole different class of applications. If you want portable
but mostly plugged in then a 200-300 Mhz PC/104 x86 board is
very flexible. I've given up on x86 for this kind of thing but then
I want something that runs all day on batteries. So as with most
tech decisions, the answer depends on the requirements.
  -- Doug