Antwort: Re: Fedora Telnet install?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jul 30 10:29:45 EDT 2007

Using telnet to install Fedora isn't restricted in any way. It's
possible to install with telnet on a machine half way around the world,
if you can organize such a thing. In fact this is how I install Fedora
on our SpeakupModified.Org server, which I have never touched and will
never visit, because it is housed thousands of miles away from me at a
data center.

If your reference to your DSL modem means you're thinking of using a
remote rpm repository as the source of installation media, this is, of
course, possible. However, it may not be wise. Connections are all too
frequently interrupted on the Internet, and even a short, two second
interruption can demolish your installation. Before you attempt such a
thing, consider how you will recover should something go wrong. In fact
what I have just described happened to me while we moved our server from
FC6 to F-7. It took me over a week to restore all the data to the remote
machine.

If you absolutely must install using a remote repository, my advice is
to install the minimum of packages in order to minimize your exposure to
an installation crash. You can always yum groupinstall the remaining
packages you want later with much more safety. Unfortunately for me,
even this bit of wisdom could not help in my little installation
disaster, because my crash occured before any packages were
installed--but after disk formatting--the worst time, actually.

What to type is explained in our on line documents:

http://SpeakupModified.Org/HOWO_INSTALL.html
http://SpeakupMOdified.Org/telnet_installation.html

Good luck!

Janina