maybe ot, gnome in debian

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Jul 29 13:06:06 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 10:12:27AM -0500, Kenny Hitt wrote:
> I don't run Debian testing (Lenny), but I believe it is also running Gnome 2.18.

Hmmm, well, it doesn't seem to be as far as I can tell. I'm running
testing, which is now being called Lenny/sid, probably until the
debian team separates Lenny from sid later on, and "aptitude show
gnome" gives me:

gnome
State: not installed
Version: 1:2.14.3.6
Section: gnome
Maintainer: Jordi Mallach <jordi at debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 45.1k
Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.14.3.6), gnome-office (=
1:2.14.3.6), gdm-themes, gnome-cups-manager (>= 0.30),
         gnome-themes-extras, gnome-games-extra-data, rhythmbox (>=
	 0.9.2), synaptic (>= 0.53.4) | gnome-apt, gnome-screensaver
         (>= 2.14.3) | xscreensaver, gnome-power-manager (>= 2.14.2) |
	 xscreensaver, totem-mozilla
 This is the GNOME Desktop environment, an intuitive and attractive
 desktop, with extra components.

 This package depends on a wide range of applications, including
 programs for email, messaging, word processing, financial
 accounting and more.

Tags: interface::x11, role::metapackage, special::meta, suite::gnome,
uitoolkit::gtk

I also see there is a gnome-orca package, which is the screen reader
judging from the description, and that's at 2.18. Looking at the orca
pages on gnome.org, it says that orca works with gnome 2.16 or later,
and I wasn't sure therefore what would happen if I installed debian's
gnome 2.14, with gnome-orca. The one time I tried building gnome via
garnome, after installing a whole bunch of needed debian packages
following the garnome docs, I got http 404 errors early in the
fetching process, so I just decided to wait until debian testing moved
to gnome 2.16, or gnome 2.18, thus my question on the subject. Thanks.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1