no speech

Guy Schlosser guyster at buckeye-express.com
Sun Jul 22 15:07:36 EDT 2007

Hi all, I'm still trying to get Speech-dispatcher 0.6.4 beta 1 up and
running.  I downloaded the dependencies for compiling
speech-dispatcher (apt-get build-dep speech-dispatcher", and also
portaudio19, since I'd like to compile Espeak against portaudio19, in
case I have to use it with gnome-speech.  I recompiled sd 0.6.4,
using make uninstall, then the ./configure, make, make install
process.  During the ./configure process, I saw something about
compiling with alsa support succeeding.  I then got excited, added
the module (espeak, not espeak-generic), set it as my output module,
then rebooted.  Now, I have no speech, even when I switch back to
gnome-speech.  Anyone have any ideas?  I want to compile the new
Espeak, just so I have the most recent installed.  Do I do
./configure, make, and make install there too?  Thanks in advance for
any help.  Here's hoping to get back up and running soon.

Thanks again,

Guy