Fedora--Learn To Use Yum; [Was: needing Lynx]

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jul 17 12:35:37 EDT 2007

Scott Berry writes:
> Janina,
>
> I have a Fedora installation without Speakup as I do mostly ssh here.  Are
> there though lynx.rpms that are available from speakupmodified.org again?

No, not from SpeakupModified.Org, because they're simply provided by the
main Fedora repositories. Learn to use yum. You'll find it very helpful.
In this instance you can querry for lynx as via one of the following:

yum list lynx
yum info lynx

And, of course, you can install as in:

yum install lynx

PS: Lynx is always one of the first apps I install on a fresh
installation of Fedora on. There are a few other apps I like to have,
and I grab them all at once as, for example:

yum install lynx ncftp keychain ...

Using yum to its fullest will depend on whether you've installed
configurations for the various repositores you need. The default
installation will give you most of what you need, but it won't give you
the SpeakupModified, which is why our yum instrucctions at:

http://SpeakupModified.Org/yumming

tell you to grab our key and our repository .rpm by hand first as a one
time action. Similarly, you might want to get the rpm release file from
http://livna.org in order to install mplayer via yum, just to cite one
example that I suspect people might care about.

Janina