speech-dispatcher beta 1, no speech

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Mon Jul 16 14:21:31 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-16-07 at 09:12 -0400, Guy Schlosser wrote:
> Hi all, I installed the speech-dispatcher 0.6.4 beta 1 today, and
> have a few problems.  Not sure if they are a problem with the beta or
> something on my system, but if someone could help me sort it out, it
> would be greatly appreciated.  When I rebooted my computer after
> install, and recompiling the python bindings, I get no speech.  I
> then got orca back to a speakable state, and found the following
> problems when I examined /var/log/speechd.log, I see the message "bad
> syntax from module Espeak.

Anyway, I believe that why you get no speech is because your version
is not build with ALSA support and Speech Dispatcher has now switched
its default settings to ALSA. You can either switch the settings for the
modules that interest you in each of their settings file to OSS or NAS
or you need to install ALSA including its developement packages.
Further, look at speechd.conf (option DefaultModule) and set it to your
prefered synthesizer.

In case your problems persist, could you please send me the full log
(since start of speech-dispatcher) with priority 5
(see /usr/local/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf, option LogLevel).

Have a nice day,
Hynek