Speech Dispatcher 0.6.4 beta1 -- request for help with testing

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Mon Jul 16 14:12:27 EDT 2007

> Would be good to have voice mapping control in the module as espeak offers
> so many more voices than speech-dispatcher offers, but in some ways that's
> more of a speech-dispatcher problem (it may have been better if it had a
> function to retrieve a list of voice names that clients could use, rather
> than this set number).

Hi Michael,

Speech Dispatcher can retrieve a list of voice names and set a specific
voice now. I don't know however how we could use that with Speakup since
the current output mechanism doesn't support this. But I'll ask Kirk
about it.

You can still select various eSpeak voices for the various languages by
just switching the language (symbolic voice names like MALE1 etc.
operate under the given language). There is currently only 6 different
voices available for English in eSpeak and much less for the other
languages, so I believe all should now be selectable using these
symbolic voice names.

We have however already designed a more sophisticated mechanism for
the next versions of Dispatcher.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke