Some Questions About Linux And SpeakUp

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Jul 9 18:38:27 EDT 2007

* Gregory Nowak <greg at romuald.net.eu.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 02:00:59PM +0330, Parham wrote:

>> First, Is it possible to instal GRML and not use the live CD?

> Not that I'm aware of.

grml2hd exists. But I wouldn't really suggest it to people not being
familiar with Debian/unstable. Instead use grml-deboostrap and get a
plain Debian/stable plus additional software packages related to
accessibility.

I'd like to provide better accessibility features in
grml-debootstrap out-of-the-box, but as speakup doesn't seem to work
with kernel >=2.6.22 it looks like grml can't support
speakup/swspeak in upcoming versions at all. So I'd like to have
this sorted out (either a working speakup kernel patch, or even
better a userspace only solution) before putting any further effort
into it.

>> second, is it possible to get free software synths other than
>> what is the default one? That is good, but hard to understand.

> The default synth in grml is flite, but grml 1.0 does include espeak
> as well, which is much better than flite in my opinion. To get espeak
> going, you need to edit /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf, and find
> the line that says

> DefaultModule flite

> , and change it to say

> DefaultModule espeak-generic

> . Then, you need to restart speech-dispatcher with

> /etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher restart

> . I haven't actually gone through this while describing it, but just
> wrote it from memory, so I stand to be corrected. The grml developer
> who is on this list as well should really make it much easier to
> switch to espeak for those who don't like flite. Perhaps a shell
> script or alias that moves the default speechd.conf out of the way,
> and moves a modified one into place, and restarts speech-dispatcher.

I love it to find "should really make it much easier to..." requests
on non-grml mailinglists. Not. Why don't you send me a patch, alias,
script,... or at least make a feature request into my direction?
*grml*

-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins