Some Questions About Linux And SpeakUp

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Jul 8 14:07:03 EDT 2007

On the topic of using Orca in a terminal window compared to speakup in
text consoles, I would say speakup is much more responsive (speakup is
more responsive than Orca in general, as an example, if using Orca and
evolution for email and the email is long (eg. if there is a lot of
untrimmed reply text), then orca is very unresponsive about keyboard
echo, where as speakup with a text based email client never has this
problem). Another observation with Orca is that in gnome-terminal, Orca
sometimes stops doing key echo, speakup in a text console never seems to
do this. To put it simply, Orca requires the GUI stuff, so relies on
more components, where as speakup is in the kernel so relies only on the
kernel (provided you are using hardware speech), so there is more
possibilities of something going wrong for Orca (although Orca seems to
be coming along now for reliability).

From
Michael Whapples