Some Questions About Linux And SpeakUp

Albert E. Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Sun Jul 8 11:42:37 EDT 2007

> Right. So where does Speakup come in?

I'm not sure, but maybe it doesn't matter if you're just using software speech.  With a hardware synth, though, speakup can kick in a lot earlier in the boot process when it can with software speech.  My experience with both the grml live cd and the ubuntu one is that speakup kicks in much sooner with grml than orca does with ubuntu.  This is just what I've found, though, and others may have better info for you.

Al