Some Questions About Linux And SpeakUp

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Jul 7 14:00:10 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 02:00:59PM +0330, Parham wrote:
> First, Is it possible to instal GRML and not use the live CD?

Not that I'm aware of.

> second, is it possible to get free software synths other than what is the default one? That is good, but hard to understand.

The default synth in grml is flite, but grml 1.0 does include espeak
as well, which is much better than flite in my opinion. To get espeak
going, you need to edit /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf, and find
the line that says

DefaultModule flite

, and change it to say

DefaultModule espeak-generic

. Then, you need to restart speech-dispatcher with

/etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher restart

. I haven't actually gone through this while describing it, but just
wrote it from memory, so I stand to be corrected. The grml developer
who is on this list as well should really make it much easier to
switch to espeak for those who don't like flite. Perhaps a shell
script or alias that moves the default speechd.conf out of the way,
and moves a modified one into place, and restarts speech-dispatcher.

> Third, I should be able to switch to the GUI mode by pressing alt+ctrl+f7 but that does not work?

When grml starts up, at least the livecd, it starts into text mode,
and doesn't launch the gui. Pressing ctrl+alt+f7 while in the gui
would actually switch you into the gui, but since you're not in the
gui to start with, it will just switch you into the 7th text
console, if that's enabled. As for how to start the gui under grml, I don't know, since
I've never used that. At a guess, startx at the shell prompt should do
it, but you'll need to either read up on that yourself, or someone
else will have to explain that.

> Fourth, is it possible to instal Linux on a computer that had Windows XP SP2 on it without data loss?

That depends on what you mean by "without data loss". If you just mean
without losing your personal files, then the answer is to back them up
to somewhere, install gnu/linux, and move them back to the new
gnu/linux system. If you mean without losing your xp install, then
you'll need to resize the ntfs partition, and repartition your drive,
which is prone to error, or wipe xp, partition the drive the way you
want, and then reinstall xp, and install gnu/linux.

> Anything else? I'm very open to questions as long as we have no political talk about nuclear stuff and such here. That's ok for me, but that would cause some problems in the list, not me.

If your views on that are what I think they are, then you'd actually
find a few people here which are sympathetic to those views, but
you're right that such topics are probably not meant for this
list. The kirkaganda list that kirk runs would probably be more
appropriate for that kind of stuff. Kirk, is kirkaganda still
running? I haven't seen anything from there lately.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1