hardware options

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Fri Jul 6 11:46:43 EDT 2007

In a word, 'surplus'.  Even if you don't buy from a surplus dealer,
they might have something which gives you some ideas of what to look
for elsewhere.  Note that 'surplus' does not always mean 'used'.  I
have listed a few sites below which might help you start your search.

Bob Johnson's Computer Stuff sells lots of laptop and notebook
computers at reduced prices as well as some desktop models.  I have
not bought anything from this place for years, but the computer I
purchased then was very clean, and it is still running.  This site is
at

www.bobjohnson.com

Bob may answer the phone himself if you call the number from the web site.

Another place which seems to get small sized systems in stock from
time to time is PC Surplus Online at

www.pcsurplusonline.com

They have overused graphical trash on their web site, so finding the
right category from their online catalog might be a little tedious.
However, they do have a phone number there which can allow you to talk
to a human being if you prefer.

Another site which might be able to come up with something you like is
Pacific Geek at

www.pacificgeek.com

I have used links (the chain) as recently as a few days ago to place
an order on their site.  I have not looked over their list of systems
for some time, but it might be worth looking over to see what they
have.  They also have a customer service number so you can talk to a
human being if you prefer.

Other surplus sites may be available which have what you are looking
for.  Searching with your favorite search engine with terms like
'small computer' and the like might be helpful.

HTH, and have a great weekend.

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 04:40:39PM -0400, Christopher Moore wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been running x86 pcs for years.  My current machine is housed in a
> tower case under the desk.  I'm looking for other options with a smaller
> footprint.  Cost is an obvious consideration; otherwise, I'd be tempted
> to plunk down some serious cash on a laptop.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> TIA
> Chris

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light...
SLOPE = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1)