droplinegnome anyone?

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Jul 3 18:24:28 EDT 2007

I tried the water and nearly lost my toes.  Having managed to get
droplinegnome installed, I ran gdm since startx wouldn't work and got
logged in.  I rn a gnome-terminal session and ran orca -t and tried
configuring things.  I learned that speech was not available nor for that
matter was anything else except braille and braille monitor.  So having
found that out this is the latest offering by droplinegnome I could either
get the missing pieces from gnome.org and try to run a hybrid system or
remove all of it from the hard drive.  I chose to remove it all from the
hard drive thinking that would involve less trouble.  Wrong!  After a
successful uninstall, I couldn't use ssh anymore on the system.
reinstalling the ssh package had no effect.  I had to do a complete system
reinstall to fix that problem. Something else with slackware, making an
install without alot of the graphical stuff is risky.  I couldn't create
/etc/lilo.conf using the system install and got an initrd system created
for me in the /boot directory.  Slackware didn't even tell me it was doing
that either. Another thing with slackware is that on some of the mnus
where it appears next to impossible to position the cursor; hitting home
key followed by space will change the colors of the first entry in the
table then you can move up and down with the cursor and need to hit the
spacebar to check items.  This works well when selecting startup services
but doesn't work when selecting time zones and does work well when
selecting a modem link.