Console News Readers?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sun Jan 21 23:43:58 EST 2007

Sorry for an off-topic couple of questions.  Since 1997 I had been sifting
through usenet news groups with trn-and-exporting uuencoded binaries in pine.
However, last 3 years or so, like a plague almost all of binary usenet has gone
Yenc.  Now, I realize there are yenc decoders as well as some pearl scripts
such as ubh, but are their any menue-driven unix news readers which support
yenc?  It was suggested I look at pan, but it looks to be for a graphical
linux.  Trn will not handle yenc, but there are some work arounds.
I've written the pine team, asking if there are ways to decode these messages?
They-and-others think I could pipe to a yenc decoder.  I know there is a pipe
function in pine, but am not sure what to do with it?
Thanks so much in advance, as now giganews keeps binaries 70-days
Hart