FC6 success

Albert E. Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Sat Jan 20 13:43:58 EST 2007

It's un-freaking-believable!  This morning, I finally installed FC6!  I used the DVD image, installing from the partition on my hard drive that I gave the mount point of /home.  I got to this point partly by mistakes, but I finally got to it.  (I'd tried hard drive installations before and had failed in various ways.)

After rebooting, I found that I'd somehow missed Emacs and Lynx.  After doing some reading and some educated guessing, I used yum to get them both.  I might be missing other things I want; if so, I now at least think I can get them.

I owe the GRML folks a great debt:  I couldn't have done this without GRML or something like it.  It was a couple of things about GRML (or maybe Debian as a whole, I don't know) and time-setting hassles with it, that prompted me to retry FC6.  Still, if I stick with Fedora, I'm sure the GRML CD will continue to be a great aid from time to time.  And if I return to a GRML hard drive installation, I now know I can set it up in the partition scheme I want.

I of course wish I had found or been giving the solution to the mystery of the CD installation problems, but at least I finally seem to have circumvented it.  Having written about the blues here, I thought it only right to write about at least my initial success.

Al