Linux Class

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jan 10 11:37:06 EST 2007

I don't believe we've every successfully compiled Speakup for Suse. So,
you cannot use Speakup on Suse. However, this will not prevent you from
using some other Linux distribution where Speakup is known to work well
such as Debian, Fedora, Slackware, and Ubuntu. You can then simply ssh
into the Suse machine you are studying.

Please note that you will not have access to the desktop tools the class
is likely to use. You'll actually have to learn about the file structure
and how things are really done under the hood, instead of merely
clicking buttons on a pretty form. Think of this as an advantage. At the
end of the day, you'll actually understand something about how things
work, rather than just about fill in the blank server administration
options.

PS: Suse has it's own interface for blind users cdalled Suse Blinux
(SBL). It requires refreshable braille. Perhaps that's also an option
for you?