Getting orca running on Ubuntu (WAS): RE: Orca

Chris Norman chris.norman4 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 3 11:49:50 EST 2007

Well getting orca running is obviously going to be the first herdle to
cross. I'm assuming you burned the CD (this is done using something like
cdrecord on linux, nero or iso recorder on windows). Now you want to get it
talking. I'm also assuming that you can't see the screen at all, it's just
an easier assumption to make LOL.

When the cd's loaded, and you've (hopefully) heard the login sound, wait for
a bit longer until the CD has stopped spinning, then press alt+f2. The CD
will start spinning again, when it's stopped (just to be on the safe side),
type
orca
and press the enter key. If it's worked, the CD will start spinning again,
then you will hear orca speak for the first time, asking you several
questions about your desired configuration of orca. When you've answered all
of these, it'll say that the accessibility flag has been set and you need to
log back in. Ignore this! :-D Instead, when you've hit enter, press
control+alt+backspace. This kills the x session (the system that runs the
GUI), then restarts it. You will hear a tapping sound, this is the signal to
log in, but the live CD logs you in automatically so don't worry about it
LOL. When you've heard the login sound again (the long australian thing
ending with the sound of crickets), press alt+f2 again to go into the
gnome's launch application dialogue box (the equivelant of the windows run
dialogue box) and type orca again, hitting enter when you've typed. Orca
should start talking. You can now start messing around.

You can change the speed by holding down the insert key and pressing the
left and right arrows which slow and speed up the speech respectively.

Installing is a different thing. I think I found out how to do it on the
ubuntu wikki, or the orca one, but if you go to:
www.google.co.uk/search?q=installing+ubuntu+with+orca
you should get it. If not, there's always this list.

HTH and take care,

Chris Norman
<!-- cnorman at rnibncw.ac.uk -->