interesting occurrence with amd dual core, what do you thing?

Farhan i.am.farhan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 21:26:31 EST 2007

hmmm, this amd duel-core system your looking at, does it happen to be something hp?
The computer upstairs is an hp turion desktop and I put the ubuntu cd in there to see how well or how not wel it would run and it never booted.
Just a thought.
On 2/23/2007 at 20:25 Doug Smith said
Hi: I am Doug Smith.  I have just started receiving from the mailing
list, and I have been reading about all your apparent troubles with
amd dual core systems, the exact one that I want.  Here's the problem
I have.

My wife said that she would buy me a new AMD 64 X 2 dual core and that
I could get it in any configuration I wanted.  I want to get one, but
I am not sure what's going on here, so I will ask a few questions.

First of all, are you in a text-based console when speechd-up and
speech-dispatcher decide to exit stage left, or is it happening in a
graphical environment?

Next, are you using the integrated, on-board sound equipment on the
amd system, or did you just put a standard sound card in it? The
reason I wonder about this is that, each time I go into a store and
put my GRML disk into an amd dual core machine, to try to show my
wife how this speech works, I get the funniest failure message, and I
believe that it has something to do with the kind of sound hardware on
the motherboard of the machine.  It might be solvable with something
like sndconfig, but I don't want to keep holding up a machine that
others might be interested in looking at and buying.  The message is
this:

failed writing 128 samples

It comes from the swspeak program that drives speakup in this
operating system.  I will write them tonight, as well, and see if they
are aware of it.  If you know anything about this, pleast tell me
more.

Thanks.

Doug Smith

--