slightly o-t, looking for os help

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Tue Feb 6 23:25:18 EST 2007

The mount command usually requires both a device name
and mount point unless the device name is listed in your
/etc/fstab. Look there for the floppy drive info, mine is:

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0

To mount this in the fully qualified way would be:
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Note that the file system type is set to auto in /etc/fstab.
It should automagically determine the file system type.
And since it's in fstab, I can also do just

mount /mnt/floppy

Same is true for cdrom and any other mount point,
if they are defined properly in /etc/fstab you can
simply mount the mount name and skip the device.
This assumes that the device exists and there is
proper media inserted etc.

For more info on mounting
http://www.alwanza.com/howto/linux/floppy.html
http://home.ubalt.edu/abento/linux/terminal/mount.html
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/linux/mount.html

also commands
man mount
man umount
man fstab

And the dosfstools docs for formatting and such
http://www.fifi.org/doc/dosfstools/

I appreciate linux more and more every day, even
still, started with redhat 5 almost 10 years ago, it
gets better all the time. My system is dare I say
more stable than windows will ever be.

  -- Doug