disk druid and partitions

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Feb 6 19:54:31 EST 2007

You don't say whether these are ide or sata or scsi. If ide and on
separate controllers, they will be hda and hdc, and if on a single
controller hda and hdb. If sata or scsi they'll be sda and sdc, or sda
and sdb. Each of your partitions will be numbered. Note that c: d: and
e: aren't disks, despite Windows parlance. They're partitions on a
single disk. That should help you understand.

So, the first disk, assuming it's ide, will have hda1, hda2, and hda3.
When you get to diskdruid you can tell for sure, because diskdruid will
print out the size of the partition.

Note that you are advised to consider at least two partitions for Linux:
a / partition for the all the system files, and a /home for all your
data. The point is that you don't want to have to reformat your /home
when the day comes that you want to reinstall Linux to take advantage of
a new OS release.

Janina