Speakup's future

Glenn Ervin GlennErvin at cableone.net
Sun Dec 30 21:59:16 EST 2007

I think that many windows users wish to move to Linux, as people are getting
fed-up with Microsoft.
Learning the new OS is difficult for some, I rather enjoy that challenge
myself.
But for those who don't want the challenge, the odd keyboard mapping will be
enough to make them go back to Microsoft very quickly, in my opinion.
I have a pretty good handle on how others manage the computer, and different
systems, as part of my job is teaching computer use to people, and learning
new mapping on top of a new OS is like someone learning a screen-reader
while learning to type, in that two new things at once are very frustrating
to folks.
I can handle different keyboard mappings, but I hate it, as I am focusing on
other aspects of what I am doing, and having to remember what keystrokes for
this and that is not what I am usually trying to accomplish at any given
moment.
Glenn