Ubuntu Live CD and Sound

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Dec 28 23:40:44 EST 2007

Once you install ubuntu to the hard drive; you can make configuration
changes that stick.

A live cd is exactly that;
a way of testing the system.
As to the output beeing weak from onboard cards this is simply that the
sblive has an onboard headphone amplifier;
and onboard cards usually don't.
This is for two reasons:
1: you don't really want an onboard card with an amplifier right next to a
source of rf-noise such as a system board so best connect to amplified
speakers.
2: not including an amplifier limits power usage, keeps cost down and
reduces component complexity.

If you disable your onboard soundcard in the bios; it should default to the
sblive.
There is no easy way of reordering the alsa configuration without editing
config files and the like something that is not possible off a live cd.