email sending problems debian 4.0

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Fri Dec 28 15:04:07 EST 2007

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 12:46:29PM +0000, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Would appreciate it if someone could point me to some
> > documentation to explain all this?

	try looking in the /usr/share/doc/HOWTO directory and ls
everything like *[Mm]ail* or *[Mm]asq*.  I installed sendmail, as it's
an industry standard, and any skills learned could be used for pay.
O'Reilly also has Sendmail (the Bat book) online, if you want to get
deep into sendmail's config many config files and start tweaking things.
The Masquerading HOWTO should be enough to get you up and sending with
sendmail.  I would set fetchmail aside and put it offline until you have
the ability to reply with a properly masqueraded  from address.  Maybe
test your system using a webmail account, sending emails to and from it
to one account that fetchmail will access.  You may need to learn
procmail to start doing address re-writing if you're going to try
POP'ing mail from more than one mailserver.  It took me a month to
configure sendmail the first time around, because I hadn't read the
Masquerading HOWTO., which makes it a breeze if followed to the letter.
You only need to add three or four things to sendmail's configs to get
it to work, using the Masquerading HOWTO.  HTH,

			Michael