trying to use brltty to install debian etch on mac mini

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Dec 9 14:06:50 EST 2007

Hello,
I may not have the actual answer, but here are some things that strike
me about this and might help in finding the answer.

Firstly I have noticed that brltty seems to be able to communicate to
your display without problems, it can show screen not in text mode with
out a problem (it doesn't come up as question marks). This indicates the
problem is somewhere in the screen driver side of things. I don't know
what might be the problem there. One possible solution (if it exists)
would be is there an ubuntu version for powerpc with orca? If so this
would not be using any of the brltty screen drivers as orca directly
interfaces to brltty through brlapi. Also from what you have said it
sounds like the powerpc debian CD installer uses a graphical interface,
does the X86 version also use this (I mean if you start brltty the same
way as you said you have on the powerpc version as starting it from the
boot prompt might change something and it might then not use the default
installer)? If yes to that, do you know what is being used in the X86
debian installer to tell brltty what to output?

Ideally you probably want to try and find a solution to make the brltty
screen driver work properly.

From
Michael Whapples