getting started with linux

Chris Norman chris.norman4 at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 27 18:05:44 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 20:34 +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi Doug:
> Thanks for your help.
> I haven't got a response and I don't think the add has got that long to
> go. So does anyone know where I could find a cheap machine that could
> run the command line version of linux? And that will work with speakup
> and has a supported sound card?

Anywhere from the bin upwards! :-D

Linux, with a command line interface takes up very few resources,
however, there might be a 128mb limit on the installation program (I
know there is / was on fedora).

> Also do I need a hardware synth for linux?

Not necisarily... You can install Ubuntu with software speech, and you
can install fedora with telnet (from another machine), the latter means
that if you have an old windows box, you could boot fedora from within
VMWare, and then telnet into it with windows, using the same box, or you
can use a braille display (the braille note will do).

> And does anyone know if I can use the braille note from humanware as a
> braille display?

Yep... You go into braille terminal on the braillenote, you have to use
the braillenote (bn) driver with brltty.