Speakup on a Dell Enspiron 2600

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Aug 17 23:02:36 EDT 2007

	I am going to enherit a Dell Enspiron 2600 laptop which
is about 5 years old, has no serial ports built in and 256 megs
of RAM. Should I be able to get a talking boot from a Ubanto
live CD? Do I have to use gnome?

	This is quite a bit different from my other Linux
installations at home and at work. There, I have used serial
ports to install Debian and fed those serial ports in to A P.C.
still running DOS, a screen reader I wrote in assembler and an
Echo Speech synthesizer, being terminally cheap by my own
admission.

	In order to get the benefit of a laptop, I don't want to
need to drag and power lots of external stuff so this is a good
time to modernize things.

	I would think that the sooner the installation CD starts
talking, the less problems there will be in getting started. Not
having a serial port built in is a real pain since that is one
good way to begin an installation independently as you all are
painfully aware.

	I have nothing against gnome or learning something new,
but this laptop presently only has 256 megs of RAM and that
might be pushing things a bit.

	Thanks for any good suggestions or pointers to specific
instructions on getting past the initial setup period.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer