Considering writing a synth emulator for use with virtual machines

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 14 10:38:17 EDT 2007

Maybe this is crazy but I was thinking maybe it would be easier to write a
driver for speakup that talked to the serial port like a vt100 terminal. The
idea is that you'd run hyperterminal or something on your Windows machine,
and when you press a speakup key, it sends whatever text it wants spoken to
the serial port with appropriate vt100 control codes to get it to display on
your hyperterminal screen. For instance, if you press a Capslock+u it sends
the previous line to the serial port. This is then displayed by the terminal
emulator and spoken by jaws or whatever.

I've tried connecting a null modem cable to the serial port and then telling
speakup that I have a doubletalk. But it doesn't work. It must be some small
thing in the initialization that keeps it from working though because I know
you can just send text to the serial port and the doubletalk will read it.