Low Speakup volume in Ubuntu?

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Mon Aug 13 10:45:57 EDT 2007

Hello:

I have managed to increase the volume in Speech-dispatcher and Espeak
with the normalize program in Slackware Linux.  The file
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak-generic.conf contained these lines:

GenericExecuteSynth \
"echo \"$DATA\" | speak -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME -p $PITCH --stdin && aplay /tmp/espeak.wav"

These lines can be modified to include normalize to add 10db of gain as follows:

GenericExecuteSynth \
"echo \"$DATA\" | speak -w /tmp/espeak.wav -v $VOICE -s $RATE -a $VOLUME -p $PITCH --stdin && \
/usr/bin/normalize -q -g 10db /tmp/espeak.wav ; /usr/bin/aplay /tmp/espeak.wav"

Edit carefully--the version of Speech Dispatcher you are running might be different from the one I am running.

HTH, and have a great day.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 11:52:39PM -0700, Zachary Kline wrote:
> Hiya,
>     I've noticed that with speakup and Speech-dispatcher, my speech volume is quite low with Espeak to the point where I can only hear it if I strain my ears.  This is a little frustrating, but at least I've confirmed that the system works as intended for the most part.  I can modprobe speakup_sftsyn anyway.
> Any answers on why the volume is so low?  Orca's isn't...
> Thanks,
> Zack.

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light...
CIRCLE AREA = _pi * r ^ 2