OT: Trouble installing Ubuntu on VmWare?

Mírian Bruckschen cleo.sl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 19:53:40 EDT 2007

Hi Gregory,

On 8/12/07, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> FYI, I don't know how powerful your hardware is, and what your
> experience will be like under vmware, but for me, the install was
> somewhat slow and sluggish under virtualbox, but I was able to get
> through it after about 3 tries. What gave me the most trouble was the
> locale selection screen, because the system was very slow to respond
> to key presses there, and ctrl+tab for some reason wouldn't move me to
> the prev/next/cancel buttons on some of my attempts. I also found that
> it took a while from the time I typed ubiquity, to the time that it
> actually came up. In fact, on my first attempt, I was convinced that
> the system froze while I was waiting for the first screen to come up
> after starting the installer.

Since I'm trying to do the same (installing Ubuntu under VirtualBox),
what is your hardware when getting these results? In my notebook
everything went fine (even install), but I'm going to do the same in
not-so-good machines, and I don't know if I will be able to make it
(due to memory, in special: 256mb, while my notebook has 1gb). And two
final questions: how much did you select for memory in VirtualBox for
Ubuntu? After the config effort, did Ubuntu+Orca run well using
VirtualBox?

Sorry if this is off-topic, and thanks for any tips!

--
Mírian Bruckschen