Considering writing a synth emulator for use with virtual machines

Alastair Irving alastair.irving at sjc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 12 09:27:11 EDT 2007

All

Since I've now started running linux from a virtual machine under
windows, I was thinking that it should be possible for me to write a
program to emulate a hardware synth and have it listening on a virtual
serial port which could then be connected to my linux virtual machine,
in theory allowing me to use the full capabilities of speakup.

Firstly, has anyone attempted  this before, as I don't ant to waste
time reinventing the wheal.

Secondly, I'm thinking of emulating some sort of external dectalk.
Could anyone point me in the direction of any documentation detailing
the communication protocol used?

Many thanks

Alastair irving