getting started with linux

Daniel Dalton daniel.dalton47 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 03:59:55 EDT 2007

Joseph C. Lininger wrote:

> Hey there Daniel,

Hi Joseph,
>> 1. I will just be doing the following:
>> using a text editor,
>> using gcc,
>> using the web and email a little bit,
>> Using the rockbox compilers I will install
>> and I will also be copying files to and from USB  drives.
>>
>> So my question is what sort of machine will I need? Would one with 633
>> mhz cpu 128 mb of ram and a 10 gb hard drive work. I am just getting
>> into this so I don't need the best results but would that run speak up
>> and linux fine?
>>

> As long as all you want to use is the command line interface, those
> specs will work just fine. Of course more ram, faster processors, etc.
> never hurts, but Linux can run happily with the system you just
> described. If I were you, I'd also make sure the system supports USB
> 2.0, or high speed USB it is also called. Many older systems don't have
> that ability, and if you'll be moving lots of data between machines,
> it's something you'll really want. The difference is noticeable. If your
> system doesn't have it, it's fine. You can buy a PCI card to support it.

Ok how would 256 mb ram go and a 1 ghz processor go? I will be compiling
mostly an open source project for mp3 players called rockbox. I will
also be compiling my own programs.
Just a question can you build win 32 apps on linux?

2. Does speak up give me access to everything in linux including the
>> command line interface?
>>

> Speakup gives you access to the command line interface, but not the
> graphical interface. If you want access to the graphical, which it
> doesn't sound like you do, then you need additional software. In other
> words, speakup is probably all you need.

Ok then.

3. What is a good text editor for programming on linux? I need one that
>> does the indentation as well as saves with unix style line endings.
>>

> There are several. I personally prefer one called nano. If you prefer a
> vi style one, then try vim.

Does nano do the indentation?

>> 4. Will I have access to gcc?
>>

> gcc comes with nearly all distributions of Linux. If you select one
> where it isn't installed by default, then installing it yourself after
> the fact shouldn't be a problem.
>

>> 5. Does anyone know of a basic linux guide?
>>

> Try The Linux Documentation Project.
>
> http://www.tldp.org
>
> They have guides, howtos, etc.
>

>> 6. How hard is speak up to install?
>>

> It comes with many of the distributions already installed in your
> kernel. Again, it's possible you may select a distribution where it's
> not, but if that's the case it can be installed pretty easily.

So could I get  linux and just install it and speakup would come with it?

Or is there nothing like this out there?

All help is greatly appreciated.

--
Daniel Dalton