getting started with linux

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Fri Aug 10 08:21:45 EDT 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> Hi,
> I am learning to program in c and I am looking to buy a machine to run
> linux.
> So I just have some questions.
> 1. I will just be doing the following:
> using a text editor,
> using gcc,
> using the web and email a little bit,
> Using the rockbox compilers I will install
> and I will also be copying files to and from USB  drives.
>
> So my question is what sort of machine will I need? Would one with 633
> mhz cpu 128 mb of ram and a 10 gb hard drive work.
Yes, although more ram when compiling helps, it should work.

I am just getting into this so I don't need the best results but would that run
 speak up and Linux fine?
Yes as long as you have a sound card supported by Linux or a hardware
synth supported by speakup.
> 2. Does speak up give me access to everything in linux including the
> command line interface?
The command-line interface is what speakup gives access to.
If you want graphical access your machine would be too small for a modern
Linux anyway.
The command-line is all you need to use gcc which you can install from
your Linux cd.

> 3. What is a good text editor for programming on linux? I need one that
> does the indentation as well as saves with unix style line endings.
There are many. Most of these can be configured to do what you want and
will
by default save in the UNIX format.

> 4. Will I have access to gcc?
Yes just install it when you install your linux.

> 5. Does anyone know of a basic linux guide?
google for dos2linux howto and you will find some guides.

> 6. How hard is speak up to install?
There are speakup-modified distributions.  If you use one of those, it is
not that difficult.
I think ubuntu 7.4 is currently the easyest, but there are several
options.

> If someone could help me out with these questions I would greatly
> appreciate it.
HTH, Willem