speakup, 2.6.22, and the way forward

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Fri Aug 3 14:50:00 EDT 2007

Hi, there are already user space screen readers like yasr at
http://yasr.sourceforge.net that will read from the login shell as I use to
use it before I found speakup.  It won't read the login messages or any
other messages but it at least has some abilities.  I would also like to see
speakup continue development and support 2.6.22 and newer kernels.  Why
won't they include it in the main kernel sources?  It is true it has some
bugs but then don't all kernel features have bugs that get fixed from time
to time?  yes.  Better support for the dectalk express would be nice.