2.6.18 kernels and tripletalk

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 2 17:54:46 EDT 2007

I have a theory that as of kernels 2.6.18, if you want to use a tripletalk
synth, you have to compile the ltlk driver into the kernel. If you
don't,when you do this:
# echo ltlk > /proc/speakup/synth_name

you're  kicked out of your shell and back to the login prompt. i've  noticed
this behaviour with grml, Shane's 2.6.18 kernels, Shane's  etch installation
iso, and my own kernels. However, when I compiled the  ltlk driver into the
kernel, it works. I made a couple of live CDs and I kept having trouble
initializing the tripletalk until I compiled the driver in instead of having
it load as a module.