strange network card issue in debian etch

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Wed Aug 1 23:46:16 EDT 2007

Hi, I am having a very odd issue with a realtek 8139 network card on my
debian etch system.  The card use to work just fine until I upgraded
one of my windows xp professional drivers.  The card still works on
windows xp professional service pack 2 with Internet explorer 7 and all
updates.  Until I installed this update to windows I was able to use
the network card in debian to get on line.  Now all I get is that the
dhcp server is not working.  I can telnet to 172.16.0.1 port 67 and I
get the message network is unreachable.  If I try to telnet to another
address or do anything else on the Internet I get the message from
telnet when I telnet to a host telnet name or service not known.  Could
the upgrade of the windows driver burned new firmware on my network
card and now linux does not work with it?  My system is a system with
removable hard drives so windows does not see linux and linux does not
see windows but I think windows caused this issue with my network card.
Any help would be great! thanks in Advance Nick Gawronski

--
My web page is http://www.nickgawronski.com