VmWare

Ricky Enger renger at carolina.rr.com
Wed Apr 18 10:13:55 EDT 2007

Hi Brent,
Actually, what you're experiencing is a bug in VmWare whereby the
emulated sound card can't handle mono sound sources well, and
Festival is apparently mono.

Now, in Ubuntu 7.04, Espeak is the default software synth and it
works great.  You can download the iso for the live cd and boot from
that.  This, of course, assumes you've installed VmWare server rather
than just the player.

Note that if you actually want to install from the live cd, you'll
need to do a couple things to get the installation to speak.

First, launch gnome-terminal.  You can switch to superuser here by
typing sudo su.  You'll then need to create an .orbitrc file in the
/root directory.  I use nano but you can use the editor of your
choice.  The .orbitrc file should contain the following lines:
ORBIIOPIPv4=1
ORBIIOPUNIX=0

Save the file and then you should be able to launch ubiquity from the
desktop icon.

Hth,
Ricky