VmWare

Christopher Moore christopher.h.moore at verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 19:50:23 EDT 2007

Doug,
You should probably give the ubuntu live cd a try before attempting to
install it on a hard drive.  Check out:
live.gnome.org/Orca to get the scoop on how to obtain the ubuntu live
cd.

Gnome accessibility has been in the works for several years, and much
has been accomlished in terms of the underlying archetecture.  However,
in my opinion the end user experience is still far short of MS windows
with a screen reader
or the linux console apps.  On the other hand, the Orca team at Sun
Microsystems has been working hard to improve accessibility and the
product is more stable than in the past.  My major complaint is poor
responsiveness.  When I'm using speakup, I get almost immediate feedback
to keystrokes and commands. I can't say the same about orca.

But, I urge you to try it out and make suggestions to the Orca team.

Chris