VmWare

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Mon Apr 16 11:11:09 EDT 2007

yOnce you press control-g to grab input you can interact with the vm
like it was a normal computer, so all keyboard commands such as
speakup review keys work as they normally do.  I always have done my
installs on vmware using speakup, which works exactly the same  as it
would on a regular computer.
On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 08:40:49PM -0700,
Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Thanks, both what you and Alex said is very clear. I assume that once
> you hit ctrl+g to interact with the vm, you can use normal speakup
> review keys, and get speech from a serial hardware synth, assuming you
> correctly redirected the virtual serial port to the machine's physical
> serial port? Did you use ssh to do the install, because interacting
> with the vm isn't as simple as I assumed in my previous question, or
> was it simply because you just wanted to use ssh to do the install, or
> because you didn't have a physical serial port/hardware synth?
> Has anyone tried running gnome in a vmware machine running on a
> windows host? If this is all as straight forward as it sounds, and as
> good as it sounds, I may not have to worry about gnu/linux compatible
> hardware, (I.E. modem, wireless card, on-board serial ports, ETC.), and about the
> warranty if you resize partitions or remove windows, when looking for
> a new laptop in the future.
>
> Greg
>

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 07:41:41PM -0700, Zachary Kline wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >     I at least have found it to be a viable alternative so far, and would be
> > glad to describe my methodology as best I can.
> >     I downloaded VMWare server and installed it on Windows.  I then ran the
> > VMware Virtual Machine Console, as it's called, and created a new VM.  The
> > console GUI is quite easy to navigate, at least with Window-Eyes.
> >     I had previously downloaded a Gentoo ISO, which I used as my cdrom
> > image.  The process of adding a cdrom to the vm is fairly straightforward:
> > if someone wants more details I'll add them.
> >     I also switched the Ethernet adapter--which is an emulated PCnet32 to
> > 'bridged' mode, because I happen to be on a private network that can handle
> > that sort of thing.
> >     Finally, I booted up the ISO and waited a few seconds, then hit ctrl+g
> > to switch the input to the VM.  I gave an ifconfig command to switch eth0 to
> > an IP address I knew, changed the password on the root account, and started
> > sshd.
> >     From that point, I just ssh'd into the VM--after hitting ctrl+alt to
> > switch input back to Windows.  The Gentoo install, including partitioning
> > and kernel compilation, went off without a hitch.  I just made sure to start
> > sshd at boot, configure the network appropriately, etc.
> > I'm glad to answer any questions you may have.  I apologize if this has been
> > vague.
> > I hope I can help.
> > Thanks,
> > Zack.

> - --
> web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
> gpg public key: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org/pubkey.asc
> skype: gregn1
>
> - --

Whoa...I did a 'zcat /vmlinuz > /dev/audio' and I think I heard God...
	-- mikecd on #Linux