couple linux(deb) questions

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sun Apr 1 16:20:08 EDT 2007

I hate it when people don't answer the question actually asked but based on
this question and the one you asked about finding duplicate files, I'm going
to guess you're trying to free up some disk space. Well, looking for
orphaned libs is probably a waste of time. You'll never free up much space
that way.

You might be able to do something with the tools for finding orphaned
packages. That would allow you to remove whole apps rather than just the
libs they may use. But even that probably won't get you much.

If you're running out of space, you should look in your home directories.
Use the du command to see where most of it is going. ie:

$ du -sh *

I have a laptop with a 6 Gb drive and it is only 30% full. And I have
apache, mysql, gcc, perl, and a bunch of other tools installed. I've always
just installed anything I wanted. Never had any problems with disk space.
The only thing is I don't have X installed. But even so, your os just
doesn't take up that much space. And the libs are only a small part of the
os. I would forget about looking to free up space by removing libs. You're
more likely to trash  something important than you are to free up
significant space.