up and running with 2.6.18

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Thu Sep 28 17:31:45 EDT 2006

Greg,

I agree with you about the usefulness of the initrd, and that's why I
have never mastered it before. In this case, I began with Shane's
precompiled kernel package, which did use one, and I was looking for the
simplest way to move up to 2.6.18. So at the moment, I am using 2.6.18
with an initrd prepared by the procedure Shane posted here.

Not sure I see any difference so far. I am booting with speakup_quiet
flag set on, and with speakup_synth set to ltlk. However, at the end of
my rc.local I use speakwith to bring up a software synth. So I can start
easily with or without my ltlk on the system.

Maybe the initrd would permit configuring software speech much earlier
in the boot process, but I have not messed with that.

Chuck

Only 10 kinds of people: those who do binary, and those who do not.
But you can get a few downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh