[advise needed on kernel compiling]

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Thu Sep 28 15:34:46 EDT 2006

Thanks for this pointer. I have been "rolling my own" the hard way for a
long time, and have not explored the Debian kernel packaging stuff for
building. And I read the docs on initrd's once or twice some time ago,
and decided to try to avoid them. But now I guess it's time to bite the
bullet.

Thanks,
Chuck

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 12:17:38PM -0400, Rylan Vroom wrote:
> I usually do not compile kernels that way as kernel-package makes it a whole lot easier, but if you are running etch, do an "apt-get install initramfs-tools" and somewhere along the line it should make an initrd for you. Sorry I can not give a better answer, but initramfs-tools is almost a must for making initrds unless you are using yaird. regards
>
> Rylan

Only 10 kinds of people: those who do binary, and those who do not.
But you can get a few downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh