General questions from someone who's never used Speakup...

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 19 11:51:03 EDT 2006

If you're going to be a linux sysadmin, you are going to need to use a linux
screen reader. You can't do everything remotely. For instance, you can't fix
networking problems remotely.

I have never heard of that DOS program you're talking about. But I use
speakup every day. My job is to admin the servers at the University of
Wisconsin Department of Mathematics. Most of the servers are rack mounted
and (thank God) I haven't had to operate them at the console. But just this
morning I had to work on a server that isn't rack mounted. I connected an
external speech synth, logged in, started speakup, and did my thing.

The rack mounted machines are all administered via the serial port. If I
ever have to admin one of them at the console, my plan is to go to the
server room with a null modem cable and a laptop that is running speakup and
then log in via kermit. But that's just a theory. I've never had to try it.

But I have done quite a bit of system admin on machines that do not have
speakup installed. This I did with the afore mentioned laptop and kermit. So
that works. Also, I've done about a bzillion linux installs via speakup.

Honestly, I use speakup every day. It may be possible to be a linux system
admin without it but I wouldn't want to try it.