time zone setting

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Sep 10 16:51:44 EDT 2006

I'm going to guess that what is happening is that your time zone is
set correctly, and your hardware clock is set to local time instead of
GMT, but the system thinks your clock is set to GMT, and adjusts for
the difference when you boot up. If your time zone is in fact set
correctly, and your hardware clock is set to local time, then do the
following:

1. Open /etc/default/rcS in your preferred editor.

2. Find the line that says

UTC=yes

, and edit it to say

UTC=no

, and save your changes.

Then, you need to set your clock to your current time. To do this,
have a look at the date(1) manual page. Off the top of my head, date
hhmmss should work, where hh is hour, mm is minute, and ss is seconds,
which I usually set in the 24-hour format, where 13:45 is 1:45
P.M. However, I have to look up the syntax in the man page when I do
this, so since it's off the top of my head, I stand to be corrected,
and don't take my word on the right way to do it, read the man
page. Hth.

Greg

P.S., I'm still assuming you're using debian. If you aren't, then
either find out how to make the rcS change in your distro, or tell us
what your distro is, so someone familiar with your distro can give you
the correct instructions.