A couple problems

Guy Schlosser guyster at buckeye-express.com
Mon Oct 30 16:25:25 EST 2006

Hello all:

I've got a couple problems and need a little assistance figuring out
what's going on.  First, I got my Fedora core 6 installed without
problems.  I installed speech-dispatcher from the tar balls at
www.freebsoft.org, and all seems to have went OK there.  Here's where
I'm having trouble.  1., when I try to compile Espeak after doing yum
install portaudio, I get make errors that say "no definition for
thread join and thread cancel."  Lastly, I put the following lines in
my rc.local file to get speech-dispatcher running, and at least
festival for now.
festival --server
speech-dispatcher.

Now, when I boot, I get the message from festival that says that the
server started, and then I don't get to the login prompt.  Is there
something I should have put after festival --server?  Or, is there a
better way to start festival and speech-dispatcher on
boot?  Furthermore, how can I regain access to my box?  Do I have to
telnet in from another machine?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Guy