speakup with ubuntu

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 29 17:09:41 EST 2006

Booting from a ks.cfg file on a floppy is already much too complicated.
We are trying to expand the availability of command line speech to more
inexperienced users. It should all work directly from the live CD
without any prior preparation.

Holding down the Alt key would be an option, but pressing F5+<a number>
is similarly easy and is our existing infrastructure for accessibility
support (which also includes high contrast, magnification, keyboard
enhancements, on-screen keyboard, in addition to screen reading).

Once the 'speaking console' option has been selected by such an option
then we can probably deal with the other boot options fairly easily and
boot onto the command prompt instead of X.

Henrik